I work for LensCrafters and learned about trivex via trade magazines and opticians in Florida when I sat for the board this year.

Do any of the chains sell trivex?

What is the average retail of trivex?

Does it require different equipment versus poly or plastic?

Is it gaining market share?

Does anyone know if Luxottica is considering buying the product?

ANd if so, does the manufacturer have the capacity to meet the demand for production a company like Luxottica/LensCrafters would create?

E.C.C.A. is in the process of introducing trivex. It costs a lot more that poly and is processed like poly. You may need to make some minor changes in equipment depending on what you use.

I think Luxottica would have to buy their own lens company too support their needs :hysterical:

I work as an Optician for a College of Optometry. We have been using Trivex material for several years now. The optics are great with an ABBE value of 43 versus Poly's ABBE of 31. It is greatly superior to Poly. The price has also come down quite a bit than when it was first introduced. We only charge $15.00 more for Trivex than we do for CR-39 or Poly.

I don't forsee LC having Trivex anytime soon and I don't know why with all the drillmounts we have in store I would think it would make perfect sense to offer it as an option. It would only make money for them because they get to charge more . Maybe they are worried that it would impact their breakage protection plan rates because Trivex doesn't start to crack like a poly would for a drillmount. Does anyone know what kind of success ECCA is having with it?

Has OSHA or ANSI rated Trivex yet? If not, I would not think anyone would want to take on the liabilities of dispensing it. I do agree that it should replace Poly because of its ABBE value alone.

Has OSHA or ANSI rated Trivex yet? If not, I would not think anyone would want to take on the liabilities of dispensing it. I do agree that it should replace Poly because of its ABBE value alone.

I do not know the answer to that question, but I do know that trivex is dispensed daily across the country and is really taking off quite well.

If the trend toward 3 piece mounts continues, trivex should take off. I hear its the best mateirial to drill.

Here in the UK we use a lot of Trivex/PNX and find it to be an excellent material for rimless mounts.

The only drawback I've found is the length of time drilling takes on a CNC machine compared to poly or plastic. I use a Berkshire optical Optidrill CNC, (I think it is distributed by Salem optical in the USA).The problem is the drill is set up to take tiny 'pecks' at the lens to stop the material melting onto the drill bit, which causes problems with hole sizes, or collecting at the top of the drill shank forming a type of collar, inturn wrecking the lens by drilling a huge countersink which you didn't want. Yes, I've learnt from experience!!!

The overall finish and durability seems just as good as poly but with the benefit of a better ABBE value.

Also it doesn't seem to be any great deal thicker than poly even though it is a lower refractive index

The price at last is also coming into line with poly as well

Cheers

Steve