labrat

If you need me i am here to help

I work on edgers all day every day. So anyone needing help just let me know. If i cant awnswer your ?'s i can get a hold of someone who can.

I work on edgers all day every day. So anyone needing help just let me know. If i cant awnswer your ?'s i can get a hold of someone who can.

94[/snapback]

:Bow::D Me too maybe we can take over the world? :Bow::Bow::D:Bow:

94[/snapback]

When you say you "work on" edgers, are you talking about repairs or edging with them all day? I ask this because I have a Santinelli LE 7070 and there is a feature which allows a lens from a broken frame to be recut into another frame slightly smaller. I'm having some difficulty understanding how to do that. I'm probably the worst shop person in the world and knowing this I stay the heck out. There are times, however when I'm alone and have no choice. Can you fill me in??

Thanks!! :rolleyes:

When you say you "work on" edgers,  are you talking about repairs or edging with them all day?  I ask this because I have a Santinelli LE 7070 and there is a feature which allows a lens from a broken frame to be recut into another frame slightly smaller.  I'm having some difficulty understanding how to do that.  I'm probably the worst shop person in the world and knowing this I stay the heck out.  There are times, however when I'm alone and have no choice.  Can you fill me in??

132[/snapback]

He means Repairs.

I will answer for the labrat because he is on the road. You can edge any lens into any smaller frame on any edger provided that the lens cuts out. Block the lens as you would any other and center the block over the frame. If the lens is big enough, trace your new frame and cut it. If its really close and you have a sharp handstone you can do it by hand. If i misunderstood the question let me know and i will get a santinelli guy to answer you later :Pleased:

When you say you "work on" edgers,  are you talking about repairs or edging with them all day?  I ask this because I have a Santinelli LE 7070 and there is a feature which allows a lens from a broken frame to be recut into another frame slightly smaller.  I'm having some difficulty understanding how to do that.  I'm probably the worst shop person in the world and knowing this I stay the heck out.  There are times, however when I'm alone and have no choice.  Can you fill me in??

132[/snapback]

you are talking about the frame change mode. It can be a little hard to do sometimes but not to bad. first you need to trace the new frame then push the F/C (frame change) then mount your old lens like you would trace a demo lens then trace that when your done you need to pull out the poll then there will be two shapes and you can move them around till they will cut out. this might change your PD seg hight ect. just make sure when you go to cut the lens you make sure the LMU dose not fall off the lens and bend it. we do not like using this becouse it can bent the shaft and you will have to recalibrate your LMU which is not to fun to do. Well i hope this will help you. you also can look in your book and this is in there and takes you step by step the only thing that is not in the book is, you need to remove the tracing poll before any info is brought down to the display. again i hope this will help

Labrat

94[/snapback]

Hi Labrat,

Wonder if you could help. We have a new super hydrophobic top coat pill on our lenses. The problem is we have a lot os lenses slipping off-axis. we have tried intermediate pads, adjusted the motor speed, edging pressures etc, but still have problems.

I know Essilor do a extra coating on top of the Super top coat which helps them, but they wont let us know what it is.

Do you have any tricks for these type of coatings in the edgers? We have Weco 890 automatic edgers.

Thanks

Hi WEBSTA,

Welcome to OptiForum.

Are your wheels sharp on the edger? Dull wheels will cause problems with slippage and Coating cracks. Your wheels should cut through the lens like butter. I would recommend the Phantom leap pads and if all else fails maybe try a surface saver tape to get you by. 9 times out of 10 the problem is dull wheels.

are these ar lenses you are having trouble with and is it only the os or is it both lenses you are having this problem with ?

Hi,

I have a Weco 450 Drill and I think the drilling bits are too expensive.

How much are they from Weco in the States?

Is there an alternative source or are they made specially for Weco?

Also what is turbine oil, surely that can be sourced elsewhere.

Cheers,

Rick

I'm looking for a used ODC casting system with the CLS molds and the new flash fill system. I'd take a used AR unit with it, but I'm sure there aren't any out there. Also, do you know if you can use Opticast monomer in the ODC AR unit?

I'm looking for a used ODC casting system with the CLS molds and the new flash fill system. I'd take a used AR unit with it, but I'm sure there aren't any out there. Also, do you know if you can use Opticast monomer in the ODC AR unit?

As of about 6 months ago there was only one system in the whole state of Florida and it wasnt working properly. I dont think there are many out there that would be sold used because they are still under warrantee. I am not sure they got the kinks worked out yet.

I think the monomer is compatable but I am not sure and I doubt you will find anyone at ODC who will tell you it is.

There is a slightly used Opticast system on ebay that may interest you. It is fully supported by OptiCast and they have several ar labs that will coat them for you.

OptiForum ebay store

Essilor Alpha

Purchase nov/2000

Small optical store use

Several unusual problems

1. Some traces from the tracing table do not trace properly and come through with Jaged edges of missing half the lens shape. Inconsistant, possibly 1 out of 50 traces.

2. After inserting lens into the edger, and proceeding to edge, there is a set of white arms that come in to trace over the lens, the shape of the frame, to measure both the appropriate min acceptable lens dia. and the thickness to indicate bevel placement. If these arms slip off, indicating that the lens is too smal, the edger was designed to stop at this point from edging. This machine however, does not and will continue to try and trace the shape over the lens, "snapping' even the white arms back onto the lens. Naturally the lens shape is distorted, and if the operator doesn't stop the program, it will continue to edge this lens and destroy the lens. This problem is a bad one because you can't always stand by and nurse this machine and lenses are destroyed as a result. (if I put no lens in the machine however and proceed to edge, the program does stop as it should, but lenses put in, it will continue to edge whether the dia is appropritae or too small)...sigh..argh..!!! The tracing table has been replaced one already, possibly twice according to my rep (although I do not believe this to be true).

3. Left lens will often edge about 2/10's mm larger than right, most often.

4 Bevel placement is not always similar to the image projected on the image screen. I often manually reposition the bevel from the standard 40 percent, to the 35 or 30 to get the bevel more to the front, and more than the picture would suggest. In other words, the bevel is often too much to the middle of the lens than the imagine would suggest or a would like. I can manually change this, but you can't always predict this to happen, as identical lenses wont always bevel out the same . Not a big problem I can live with this one.

PS Does anyone have the rubber caps used in the tracing table pegs, the new tracing table (new as in 3 years ago now) came with hard plastic covers and the frame slips out of position on tracing.

Edited by Razor

Hey Razor I was an Essilor field tech for years so hopefully I can help, Sounds like your tracer is dirty {face cheese.lens liner} Easy enough to fix... pull the case off the tracer, remove 4 screws holding tracer assy to base, lay a leap pad over stylus {to keep it from falling} turn tracer over and carefully remove the screws that hold the rails on. Flip the 'heart' assy out {dont bother to unscrew the wire harness is a pain} With a small brush and alcohol clean around all boards, then pull the white plastic cap that covers the top of the 'heart' with q-tips and more alcohol clean the rotation assy and the gear that moves the stylus in and out, usually made of brass {thanks France} finally the stylus itself verify the stylus moves up/down smoothly Reassemble calibrate and your set. This should fix the inconsistant tracings and your size problem between left and right eyes. With the problem feeling the lens those arms are ment to bend/break {old style arms had a tendency to snap off at the feeler box housing. To avoid this check the min blank size shown on the upper right corner of edger screen you can also hold the blocked lens up to screen to verify cutout. Finally the bevel problem calibrate calibrate calibrate If your bevel placement is off in auto bevel mode it means that either the feelers are not pointing to the same spot on the gauge or one/both feelers need to be cleaned/replaced. As for the feet on the tracer I haven't seen those in years.

Thanks for the help Labtech

I am in calgary, alberta, canada.

I will do the fix on the tracer and see how that goes.

I'm not sure I follow you on the feelers though? What I am trying to say is, if they slip off the edge of the lens, because the lens is too small a diameter, the edger is supposed to stop the feeler trace. This machine doesnt, although it 'use' to at one time. Now, it just keeps trying to trace the lens shape out , and 'snaps' back onto the lens. The image at that point represents anything but what would otherwise properly cut out.

I know we have had the tracer replaced once, but that was a few months after we purchased it. It was making the patterms odd even then. I"m not sure its the tracer table. But its sure worth a shot to try and service it.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out, and I'll try to get some new feelers just in case that helps too.

I'm considering getting a second edger for another store, and right now I'm deciding between thet kappa ctd, and the nidek me1000 . Id like to potentially make custom shape designs, and nidek has a instrument you can use with the edger to custom make shapes. They both have auto lensometers, but apparently the nidek has had some problems with some of the aliza and ice coatings , that it wont block properly and slips off access. so the rep suggested I just get the regular blocker. Somehow, that doesnt appeal to me.

But I want to pick the best machine, that will cut reliably, quickly, one cuts, and do grooving, and drilling, that isnt inate with problems by design.

IF YOU NEED ANY REPAIR ON ANY SANTINELLI MACHINE CALL ME @631-428-8307

Hi Labrat,

I have a briot accura cx and am having issues with the sizing. The lenses that I cut can vary by alot with random results. Some lenses I am ahving to take down to -0.6 and some as much as -2.9. Flat edge seem to be fine on cr39 but 1.6 cuts big by about 1.3. The guy who services it has done a decent job overall but just can't get the sizing any closer. Can you help ? Cheers, Optic.ian.

I have a Alpha edger and tracer, when I do a self test it shows the tracer flashing and will not proceed with the test. The edger itself checks out no problem. Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

I am currently having trouble with an Accura CX, Pro edger. I was trying to cut a job for it, but suddenly the screen went off, I don't know if any of you guys has this problem. Even though the switch is on none of the screens are showing image.

I have an Essilor Kappa M10 edger and the 115v Wheel Motor turns during the initiation but will not turn when edging. received an A128 code during the test phase. any suggestions

I have a Santinelli 7070 I need help with. Can you still help? I have had it about 6 months. The mother board was bad so I replaced it. I was told it would work even though the numbers were different. To make a long story short I sent the mother board and tracer to VSI. They said they were not compatible and they could reprogram it but it would be costly. They offered to buy my machine and sale me another. I am a new optical shop trying to make it and cant afford a lot right now so I had them to send it back. Before it just would not bevel my lenses. It will cut it for a grooved rimless, it just would not bevel it. It puts and error code of 245. Which everyone I talk to says they cant find anything about 245. Now that I got it back it acts like it doesn't want to trace. I have to keep fooling with it before it will do it. It will not trace a frame, only a lens. Which is odd, before it would. I don't think they did anything to it. I have never really worked with cutting lenses and I am trying to learn. Everyone I talk to acts like they cant help me. I don't know what to do with the machine. I want to fix it but don't really know how to go about doing it. Everyone just wants to sale me a new one. I'm in KM, NC. Any information would be helpful. My email address is clearviewoptical2@gmail.com. I've never used this website so I am learning. I have used all the resources I have found.

Thanks,

Amy S

IF YOU NEED ANY REPAIR ON ANY SANTINELLI MACHINE CALL ME @631-428-8307

Hi Santiman:

I'm a new member to this forum and I enjoy reading the posts. Here is my situation. I have a Santinelli LE 7070 for a small office finishing lab. It has been working like a champ for the past several years but recently the wheels have begun to slow down to a stop during the roughing cycle. I have to stop the roughing cycle, then restart it. The lens then finish processing without a problem on the second start.

I thought that the roughing wheel needed changing, so I replaced it. Even with the replacement wheel, the wheels continue to slow down almost to a stop, even with thin low minus lenses. Everything else seems to be functioning correctly.

What do you feel the problem is....and how do I fix it?

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Leonard

Hi Labrat,

Wonder if you can help me. I have a Santinelli LE 7070 that has been working well for the past few years. Recently, during the roughing cycle the wheels slow down and come to a complete stop. I stop the cycle then restart it. The lens will sometimes finish properly, or require another restart. The roughing wheel has been replaced but there has been no improvement in performance. Everything else seems fine: size, shape and axis are correct.

Can you help me determine what the problem is and how to correct it? I appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Thanks,

Len