Sign in to follow this  
Acktoria

School or Apprentice

11 members have voted

1. 1. How did you become an Optician?

• School
    • Apprentice

I would say by reading your other post that you should go too school if you come to America. That combined with your experience will make you a very good optician.

I did both, worked full time for my apprenticeship and attended classes at night. I think BOTH forms of education are vital. Working gains you experience not found in class, classwork allows you to have an understanding of what and why you are doing at work. If you are fortunate to work for a master, the education is priceless.

I learned on the job.

I think that there should be formal education. My only problem with that is I don't think that the return on investment is worth it. For the cost of the education and time involved, I think another career with better earning potential would be a better avenue to persue. I think earnings in this field have maxed out and will continue to decline.

I learned on the job.

I think that there should be formal education. My only problem with that is I don't think that the return on investment is worth it. For the cost of the education and time involved, I think another career with better earning potential would be a better avenue to persue. I think earnings in this field have maxed out and will continue to decline.

Slow thinker...hehehe. Been off this forum for a while.

Thirty years ago I gave someone the advice not to choose opticianry, it's a dead end field unless self employed. That is just as true today. We are not valued as employees, our industry has been bastardized & rendered ineffective by the large chains who employ minimum wage frame sellers, and churn out optical junk. There is an entire generation of eyeglass wearers who have never experienced a quality well made pair of glasses. How are they to know there is a better world for them? They think sloppy poorly fitted glasses are normal. The pool of knowledgable wearers is shrinking, along with our salaries. Next life.....plumber.....he makes double my salary working for an independent . :(

I did both school and apprentice work. When I felt comfortable, I moved to Optical full time. I agree that the cost is a factor but if you can find the right person to train with, you will do well.

So I have a Certificate (30 hours classes) and have also taken the ABO exam. My problem now is that I want further certification with the Advanced ABO and my employer is reluctant to reimburse me for the test and I'm not sure if I will receive a raise for this hard work.

You need to find an employer who will back you on the education.