Sign in to follow this  
Acktoria

School or Apprentice

I guess this question is for experienced Opticians. In the U.S. is it better to be schooled or apprentice to become an optician. I have about 5 years experience in South America and it is probably useless in the states. I want to relocate to Florida and I dont know if i should go to school or apprentice to be eligible for a license.

I guess this question is for experienced Opticians. In the U.S. is it better to be schooled or apprentice to become an optician. I have about 5 years experience in South America and it is probably useless in the states. I want to relocate to Florida and I dont know if i should go to school or apprentice to be eligible for a license.

As an optical student I like school, however, I am yet to see how much in the real world it will apply. FL is a licensed state. this discussion may help:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7204[/url]

This college, Hillsboro FL, is one of the 1st original Opticianry Schools of 3 (Erie community in Bflo, NY & my school Durham Tech in NC being the others).

http://www.hccfl.edu/depts/healthsci/opticianry/index.html

In my state, NC, the apprentice ship takes 3.5 yrs. & the A.A.S. of Opticianry two years. I would contact FL's licensing board & see if you can sit for the state board, and then go from there.

For me, not having any optical experience I felt "funny" about getting a brand new job & requesting their optician sponsor me for apprenticeship. For you, you would be an asset (w/ your previous experience), and this may not be as difficult. Money is always a factor, wish I was earning some! Good Luck and say HELLO to Florida for me! I use to live there and may again.

As an optical student I like school, however, I am yet to see how much in the real world it will apply. FL is a licensed state. this discussion may help:

This college, Hillsboro FL, is one of the 1st original Opticianry Schools of 3 (Erie community in Bflo, NY & my school Durham Tech in NC being the others).

In my state, NC, the apprentice ship takes 3.5 yrs. & the A.A.S. of Opticianry two years. I would contact FL's licensing board & see if you can sit for the state board, and then go from there.

For me, not having any optical experience I felt "funny" about getting a brand new job & requesting their optician sponsor me for apprenticeship. For you, you would be an asset (w/ your previous experience), and this may not be as difficult. Money is always a factor, wish I was earning some! Good Luck and say HELLO to Florida for me! I use to live there and may again.

There is no substitution for going to school to fully prepare you. Many will say that on-the-job training (we call it apprenticeship in Opticianry) is superior, but you will find that they have typically been apprentices, and that limits them to the knowledge of their "trainer". Typically, little training goes on, and the "apprentice is left to fend for themselves. Go to school, learn the theory and then get the practical experience necessary to succeed in Opticianry. I will offer an example; when an MBA graduate goes to work for IBM, the first thing they do is send them to a 6-month training program, despite their recent degree. Academics is the way to properly learn, then gain the experience after a well-rounded education.

I have been an Optician for 23 cough...er...uh years.....I am licensed in 3 almost 4 states...have my ABO/NCLE...etc...etc.....anyway....I was required to go to school AND do an apprenticeship because this is what NJ required at the time. I can tell you this....you will NOT learn what you need to learn by apprenticing to pass the boards. School is the ONLY way you'll pass!!! Or for that matter have even a remote chance of passing. On the job training does teach you what you need to know to WORK in the field and be successful, however there are alot of formulas that you don't use that are on the boards.

I have worked all over the Eastern USA and am amazed at how many "Opticians" have no idea about optics. They have no idea about what frames go with what RX's.....it's not only scarey....it's insulting to us "school" graduates as well as our apprentices the actually have a "clue". My suggestion is to go to school and NOT leave your future in the hands of an "Optician" that can't teach you what you need to know to pass the boards.....after all......teachers are paid to teach....Opticians are paid to ...hmmm....drink? LOL Good luck!!!!!

I'm licensed in NC and it is one of the hardest boards to take....Good Luck!!!!

Now of course I have a biased opinion... but I agree with all who replied. There is no substitute for a college based opticianry school that is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation (COA). These schools follow strict guidelines on curriculum, lab experience, clinicals, instruction, etc. established by the COA.

All COA accredited programs offer some type of associate degree. Some schools offer a one year program. The Tyler Junior College Vision Care Technology program does both. TJC offers a one-year Certificate of Proficiency and a two-year Associate of Applied Science in Vision Care Technology.

There is no way that an apprenticeship setting can teach an optician as much as they can learn in a on or two year structured program. The last we checked, the overall pass rate of those taking the ABO exam was about 66%. The pass rate of those taking the ABO exam who graduated from an opticianry school was about 90%.